Sleeping Well Manual
This manual was developed by Dr. Sheila Garland (Memorial University) based on her original research and clinical practice treating insomnia in individuals diagnosed with cancer. It was based on the work of Dr. Shawn Currie (Addiction and Mental Health, Alberta Health Services) in treating insomnia in people with chronic pain. The complete self-help manual by Dr. Currie is available in book form:
- Currie, S.R. & Wilson, K.G. (2002): 60 Second Sleep Ease: Quick Tips to Get a Good Night’s Rest. New Horizon Press: New Jersey.
Self-Help Books (in alphabetical order)
- Carney, C.E., & Manber, R. (2013) Goodnight mind : turn off your noisy thoughts and get a good night's sleep. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Carney, C.E., & Manber, R. (2009) Quiet your mind and get to sleep : solutions to insomnia for those with depression, anxiety, or chronic pain. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.
- Davidson, J.R. (2013) Sink into sleep : a step-by-step workbook for reversing insomnia. New York, NY: Demos Health.
- *Silberman, S. (2009). The Insomnia Workbook : A Comprehensive Guide to Getting the Sleep You Need.Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
*workbook details a cognitive behavioral approach to addressing sleep problems
Health Care Professionals:
- Morin, C.M. (1993). Insomnia: Psychological Assessment and Management. New York: Guilford.